Should You Replace Your Furnace?
Are you dealing with a faulty furnace? If you are considering whether to replace or repair your furnace, review these facts to ensure you make the right choice.
Substantial Cost Savings
- Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) ratings, which measure furnace efficiency, found systems from the 1970’s offer AFUE ratings of about 65 percent, while today’s models offer near total efficiency at 97 percent. That adds up to a lot of energy dollars saved.
- Tax credits and incentives could save you up to 30 percent of the cost of newer, high-efficiency systems. Look for the ENERGY STAR label for your best options when considering repair vs. replacement.
- Newer units come with a warranty, which help you save on repair costs should any issues arise.
- The U.S. Government and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has mandated the phase-out of R-22 refrigerant by 2020 in an effort to protect the ozone. Upgrading to a R-410A system not only helps the environment, it helps you avoid the high costs of repairing an older system as supplies of R-22 are further cut each year due to the phase-out.
Comfort and Air Quality
- Newer systems do a better job of controlling temperature and humidity, which reduces mold and mildew growth, improving both comfort and air quality in your home.
- For new or relatively new systems, it is likely that repairs make the most financial sense.
The 50 Percent Rule
- If the cost for repair versus replacement of your system is less than half of its value and you haven’t been suffering the need for monthly service calls to keep your system up and running, repair may be easier on your checkbook.
- If you are planning on moving out of your current home in the immediate future and your system is still working, talk to your local real estate agent to determine whether either repair or replacement would be in your best interest.
- If your system is sitting on the fence – neither old nor new -- some simple maintenance techniques may help prolong its lifespan and make immediate replacement unnecessary.
If you’re having difficulty determining whether either repair or replacement is in your best interest, contact nokpkdv.ru®. Our professional technicians treat your home like it is our own, and can help you determine whether repairing or replacing your existing system offers you the best solution to fit your needs.